Date: 25 September 2023
Time: 2pm – 4 pm, Myanmar time (UTC +6:30)
This event is free for all APAA members, Observers and their colleagues. This event is also open to IP lawyers and practitioners of Myanmar. Registration is required for access to the Webinar. Participation is limited and is on a first come first served basis only. So, please register early if there is interest.
To register, please click here. You will need to have a Google account in order to register. You may sign up for a Google account here.
The Trademark Caravan is an initiative of APAA, travelling around the Asian jurisdictions and focusing on the trademark law and practice of one jurisdiction at a time. This year, the spotlight in on Myanmar.
Myanmar, the second largest country in Southeast Asia, is a treasure trove of rich culture and natural beauty. To attract foreign investment, Myanmar has undergone legal and policy reforms, such as infrastructure developments, setting up Special Economic Zones to offer tax incentives and streamlined customs processes, and promulgation of the Myanmar Companies law and the Myanmar Investment Law to provide better protection and incentives to investors. The new Trademark Law, which improves protection for national and international brand owners, was passed in 2019 and came into force on 1 April 2023.
In this 2-hour webinar, we invited the Director General of the Intellectual Property Department of the Ministry of Commerce of Myanmar and experienced trademark practitioners of Myanmar to share with us practical information about registration of trademark as well as enforcement of trademark rights in Myanmar.
- Keynote address: Dr Moe Moe THWE, Director General, Intellectual Property Department of Myanmar
- IP History of Myanmar: Ms Khin Ktwe MYINT, Partner, KST Legal Law Firm
- Registration system under the new Trademark Law: Mr Aung Khine OO
- Trademark examination int he new era: Ms Thaw Thaw MYINT LWIN (Lilian), Partner, Khine Khine U Law Firm
- Enforcement under the new Trademark Law:
- Customs Protection under the new Trademark Law: Ms Hsu Wai HNIN, Assistant Director, Myanmar Customs Department, Yangon
- Civil & Criminal Action for Trademark Infringement: Ms Khin Khin Zaw, Partner, Law Plus Myanmar Ltd
Sep 25, 2023 - Sep 25, 2023