APAA holds a Council Meeting every year and a General Assembly once every three years at various locations within the Asian Region. The meetings and assemblies are generally very well attended by members and observers.
Attendance at APAA meetings is strictly regulated by its Statutes and Regulations.
A General Assembly may be attended by:
- (1) an individual member
- (2) not more than 3 representatives of an organisation member;
- (3) an official guest invited by the President;
- (4) an observer, subject to the following:
- (a) if the observer is from outside the Asian Region, he or she must hold professional qualifications which would entitle him or her to membership in the Association had the observer been resident in the region;
- (b) if the observer resides or works within the Asian Region and holds professional qualifications which would entitle him or her to membership in the Association, he or she can only attend one meeting as an observer; and if the observer resides within an area represented by a Recognised Group, his or her sponsorship must be approved by that Recognised Group.
- (c) The observer must be sponsored in writing in the prescribed form by an individual member and is subject to approval by the Secretary General.
A Council Meeting may be attended by
- (1) a Council member;
- (2) an official guest invited by the President;
- (3) an observer who shall be:
- (a) an individual member who is not a Council member;
- (b) not more than 3 representatives of an organisation member;
In particular, please note the following:
- 1. If you are qualified to practise the profession of patent attorney and reside in the Asian Region but are not an APAA member, you can attend only one APAA meeting as an observer. Thereafter, you must become an APAA member in order to attend any APAA meeting. Please see Join APAA for membership information.
- 2. If you are qualified to practise the profession of patent attorney and reside outside the Asian Region, you can oniy attend APAA meetings as an observer, subject to sponsorship approval.
- 3. If you are not qualified to practise the profession of patent attorney, you can attend APAA meetings as:
- (a) an Accompanying Family Person of an APAA member or as an observer;
- (b) an Accompanying Office Personnel of an APAA member in the same firm.
17th General Assembly, 64th and 65th Council Meetings
Okinawa, Japan, November 13-17, 2015
66th Council Meeting
Bali, Indonesia, October 8-11, 2016
67th Council Meeting
Auckland, New Zealand, November 4-7, 2017
(Please view web page www.apaa2017.com)